I guess I'm stupid but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess I'm stupid but...

I can't get the most recent presets posted by Craig to install. I followed previous routine. Downloaded the files, then copied them to cd (also to a floppy) to copy to the pc with DC6, which is not connected to the internet. I opened Preset manager, clicked on Open Archive (also tried it with New Archive), double-clicked on preset, but nothing gets into Preset Archive window, however the path does show above. What am I doing wrong?
    Danny Gilbert

I am not sure. Did you leave them in the .zip format? They need to be in that format. Also, they are Multifilter presets and must be directed into that filter. I can not easily run the test since these presets are already in my version of the software sinced I created them there. Maybe somebody else has downloaded them and can comment, hopefully!

Otherwise, I will clear out the presets and see if I can download them into my version. Lets see if someone else has an idea about it first.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Mine worked fine, Danny. I read the instructions about renaming the php file, but mine downloaded as a zip file, so I didn't need to do any renaming, just opened up manage presets, browsed to the place I download things to, and said "copy" and they're in the multifilter.

The "audiophile" one sounds very nice Craig. The Hi Fi does remind me of my Dad's "Hi Fi" that we got in about 1960 - a little too much on the high end for my taste, but it does make it sound like a Hi Fi.

Dan
      Dan McDonald

Comment

Yeah - the Hi-Fi preset is based on the design of typical Tube Hi-Fi sets of that time period. It has a very similar tube lineup as those typically had and produces a fairly high level of Harmonic Distortion. But, some people love that sound; it's strictly a matter of taste.

Comment

Yes - I can still hear Gene Autry crackling in my ears - that and a "sound effects" record that came with the hi-fi - Ping-pong, locomotives, jets, opening a soft drink...great stuff.
          It is an interesting sound... if I could just find that Gene Autry record, I'd fix it up and send it to my dad!

Dan
          Dan McDonald

Comment

You should send a copy of Diamond Cut to your Dad instead since there are some nice things about building tube amplifiers in software such as:

1. You can build any type of amplifier that you want using the VVA in conjunction with the Multifilter.
            2. No soldering is necessary.
            3. The amplifiers do not warm up the room and effect your electric bill as much.
            3. The tubes in the VVA do not take time to warm up; (but, to be fair, I guess they do take time to "boot-up".)
            4. The tubes do not get weak or wear out.
            5. You have controls that you never had on a physical tube amplifier such as Operating Point ("Q" point), Drive Level, Circuit Configuration, Tube Lineup, etc. In physical amplifiers, those things are only controlled and "fixed" by the circuit designer, but not the user.
            6. All of the tube transfer functions embedded in the software come from the characterization of real vacuum tubes that were brand new when measured.
            7. The VVA even casts a nice warm glow in the room!*

It makes me wonder why anyone wants to use a physical tube amplifier. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

*Note: (BTW - that is a transmitting dual triode shown in the VVA effect, not an audio tube. We used it because it looked interesting and glowed nicely. I found it floating in the ocean when swimming down the shore about 15 years ago - - - I kid you not. We came to discover that it is a common tube used in the RF Class C final stage of ship-to-shore radios.)
            Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-06-2006, 10:55 AM.

Comment

My dad was visiting when I did my first cylinder transfers, back when I got the first version of the software (I don't even remember which version it was). He was an engineer for much of his career, and worked his way through grad school repairing radios and tvs. He was impressed with Diamond Cut then. It was interesting to see him approach the cylinder transfer clean-up problem. Very methodical. He'd listen to the transfer, then suggest something like - "try the harmonic reject filter - odds" and it would usually be the right one.

I grew up with old radios and tvs around the house, but never absorbed more than a tenth of what he knows about them. I'd send him the software, but he keeps so busy with other things that he'd never have time to use it.

Anyway, as always, great product, Craig and Rick.

Dan
              Dan McDonald

Comment

Well I can't figure our where I'm erring. Here's what I've been doing:

1. Open Preset Manager
                2. Click Open Archive
                3. Go to folder I downloaded the zip files to
                4. Find the zip file I want to install and double click on it

After the double click, the folder window closes. The full file path is displayed in the Preset File Name line, but nothing in the Preset Archive window. I tried this same routine on previously downloaded and installed preset zip files and that works. The preset folder appears in the Preset Archive window, such as the Stanton cartirdge EQ preset. I click on it and click Copy. Of course I then get a notice of that preset is already installed. Where am I going wrong? The behaviour is the same on two pc's. I'm at a loss.
                Danny Gilbert

Comment

I think that you may not be clicking on the Multifilter to highlight the pathway for the presets. The multifilter is one of the filters/effects listed on the right hand side of the "presets manager".

Comment

I clicked on the Multifilter to highlight it and then went thru my routine. Now nothing appears in the Preset File Name line as well as the Preset Window being blank. It's as if the Manager is not recognizing the zip. I guess I need step by step instructions.
                    Danny Gilbert

Comment

Could someone post step by step instructions on how to import presets. I have forgotten how to and the manual only disucusses how to export. Thanks!
                      Danny Gilbert

Comment

1. download the preset to a folder somewhere (I use the desktop).
                        2. open DC software
                        3. Click "Edit" "Manage Presets"
                        4. In manage preset window, click "Open Archive" and then "browse" to locate the preset, and "open"
                        5. It should then be on the left side of the manage preset window.
                        6. Highlight it by clicking on it
                        7. Click on "copy all"
                        8. Close the manage preset window
                        9. Start up whatever filter's preset it was
                        10. It should be there.

Craig said something about that you had to highlight the multifilter on the right hand side for the presets he just posted, but mine didn't need that.

Dan
                        Dan McDonald

Comment

Thanks, Dan. All goes well thru your step 4...that's where the malfunction is...your step 5...the preset does not appear in the left side manager window. however the file path is displayed in the Preset Archive Filename line. I'm wondering if the present zips that are stored on the server for download are corrupted. It's as if the manager does not recognize the opened file as an zip archive and therefore will not show it in the left side window. This same behaviour is exhibited in the 3 pc's I have DC6 on, however all 3 machines will properly open the Stanton cartridge EQ preset zip I still have stored on all 3 pc's.
                          Danny Gilbert

Comment

Hi Danny -

Do you leave the file zipped? I leave mine zipped, so that it's just saved to the directory. DCArt recognizes it as a zip file, and just loads it that way.

Dan
                            Dan McDonald

Comment

The one thing that seems to be different is that Danny is downloading to the A drive and not the C drive like everyone else. I wonder if there is either a bug in the forum or the DC6 software not accounting for this perumtation.

I am still trying to figure that one out.

Comment

Working...
                              X