No announcement yet.

I guess I'm stupid but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, Craig, I download all files to the C drive on my internet-connected pc here at home and at the office. Then I copy the zip file(s) to a cdrw to copy to the pc with which to do my work, the one that has never been connected to the web. That pc has is still running the out of the box version of XP Home without any service packs. This pc, the one that is connected to the web, is running XP Home w/ both service packs. The one at my office runs XP Pro with both service packs. The only reason I have DC6 on the web-connect pc's is just to play around with...not for serious work and I rarely use them. The behaviour of the Preset Manager on all 3 machines is the same and I do not unzip the files. Just for experiment, I downloaded the Nortel cell phone preset. No success on any of the pc's either. However I still have the Stanton cartridge EQ preset zip file on the C drive of all 3 machines. Again for experiment, on all 3 machines, I tried to install that preset again with success. Of course I got the notice of that preset had been previously installed, which should have happened. Last night when I first encountered this problem, after copying the zip files to cdrw, I copied them to a floppy, thinking possibly there was an error in the cd burn. No success after copying from floppy to the work pc either. I am bewildered. Thanks for working with me though. I hope someone can figure out what's going on.
    Danny Gilbert

Comment

I was afraid to experiment on my main DC6 machine. So, I loaded DC6 on a virgin machine. Then, I tried to download one the the Vacuum Tube presets to a thumb drive from a different machine. I took that thumb drive to the fresh machine and tried to import the preset and it did NOT work.

Next, I directly downloaded the preset on the new machine directly to the desktop. From there, I successfully placed the Vacuum Tube preset onto the new machine.

I am also confused by this. Something is definitely wrong. I am still not sure if the issue is the file itself on the forum here or if there is a bug in DC6 pertaining to drives other than C for presets importation. But, what I am seeing is still a bit different than what you seem to be seeing.

Reiterating, I have no problems putting presets into the new DC6 from the C drive. I can not do it from other drives (E). I am attaching one of the tube presets again here so that you can test it again to see if the other one is in some weird way corrupted.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-07-2006, 10:19 PM.
      "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Danny,

Could you try Dans method of putting it on the Desktop and then importing it from there into Diamond Cut? If it is on a floppy (A drive), just copy and then paste it onto the desktop and take it from there. I suspect that there might be something going on with the unzipper and what drive it is located on (usually the C drive). Maybe if the drive holding the zipped file is different from the location of the unzipper software, there is a problem with communications between the two entities.

Comment

Hey Dan,
          Have you tried eBay for the Gene Autry records? I'll bet you could find what you're looking for there. I was able to grab an old Fred Waring christmas album (one of the many we grew up listening to every year) that I'd been wanting to transfer & give to my family as christmas presents, for only $2.

It's funny though, when I said I would clean up the records for them, they all said, "No, leave them with a little crackle, that's part of the memory".

I'll bet he'd love that.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Drew

Comment

I've never tried to import a preset directly from cd or floppy. I merely use one of those mediums to transport the file(s) to my work pc, where I copy the files to the C drive first, then open DC6 and then the Preset Manager. I just downloaded Craig's attached file to this pc's C drive, then tried to install it. Still no success. However, as I said before, the installation of the Stanton cart EQ preset zip does work except, of course, I get the notice of that preset already has been installed, which it has. Same thing for the work pc that still has the Stanton cart EQ preset zip still on its C drive. If memory serves, I copied that zip to the work pc C drive from this pc C drive via floppy.
            Danny Gilbert

Comment

I have chatted about this with Rick. Neither of us has been able to figure this one out so far. Bear with us. There has got to be a bug somewhere, but we have to figure out a way to reproduce it first, then fix it. Any additional information from anyone on this forum would be great to have pertaining to the importation of presets and the situations surrounding those problems.

Comment

Here is another idea for testing purposes. Create your own test preset in the Multifilter. Using manage presets, upload the preset to somewhere on your system. Then, delete the preset and see if you can re-import it locally. Next, delete the preset again if the previous action was successful and upload the preset to the forum here. Then, download it and try to import it again. Let us know if anything interesting reveals itself through this process.

Comment

Thanks for the help, fellers. Just to be clear on the experiment you want me to try, Craig, if you would confirm the steps below. If correct, I'll proceed.

1. Create any preset, such as a MF preset.
                  2. Export that preset to my C-drive downloads folder and zip it.
                  3. Delete that same preset within MF
                  4. Attempt to install my new zipped preset from the downloads folder.

If that operation is successful, then...

1. Delete my new MF preset again within MF
                  2. Upload my zip file to the forum, then download it and attempt to install it again.
                  Danny Gilbert

Comment

Hi Danny,

That is close, but it is already zipped by Diamond Cut thus no need to zip it again and also I would like you to emulate what Dan did:

1. Create any preset, such as a MF preset. (Use a MF preset to emulate the problem, not any filter, just the MF perhaps with two or more VVA's)
                    2. Export that preset to my C-drive downloads folder (and you do not have to zip it.) I would recommend to download it to your desktop, since Dan has used that method succesfully. That eliminates one variable from the equation by doing it that way.
                    3. Delete that same preset within MF
                    4. Attempt to install my new zipped preset from the (downloads) desktop (folder).

Comment

Just completed the experiment. The preset I created and exported to my downloads folder installs successfully from the C-drive folder. I then deleted it again from MF and uploaded it to the forum, then downloaded it to my desktop and attempted to install it again...NO success. Same behaviour...it doesn't show in the manager's left pane. In fact this time the file path did not display in the Preset File Name line above the manager's panes, as it did show in previous attempts on other presets. So there you are. Something in the BBS system is corrupting the files. By the way, the preset is still in the files forum labelled "Test Preset".
                      Danny Gilbert

Comment

It worked fine for me, Danny. I downloaded yours, installed it, then deleted it and installed it again.

I think I'd be tempted to reinstall the software, if I was sure I was following all the steps.

Dan
                        Dan McDonald

Comment

Danny,

I was also unable to install your test preset despite the fact that Dan was able to do so. Go figure. It would seem that things are pointing towards the bbs, yet why would Dan have met with success?

Anyway, maybe write me an email and I will send those two presets to you directly. Lets see what happens that way, ok? Send me an email at:

dctools@aol.com

Thanks

Comment

I think you just have to talk nicely to the computer before you ask it to do something like that... they appreciate a little kindness once in a while.

A little more within the realm of possibility (but maybe not much), I reinstalled the software recently, and ran the cumulative patch rather than each patch, one at a time. I don't know if the patches did anything or not, but that's the only thing I can think of that might be different between my version and yours.

Dan
                            Last edited by Dan McDonald; 04-10-2006, 05:45 PM.
                            Dan McDonald

Comment

The working theory is that this forum software, and in particular, that section devoted to presets sharing has had a problem develop sometime between when I posted those new presets and now. That could explain why Dan was able to download the presets while several other users have not been successful.

Rick is looking at the forum presets database now. Lets see what he finds out and I will report on it. (Rick is the administrator of the forum.)

Comment

One thought that we are entertaining is to upgrade the forum software. As with everything, there is a small risk with that action. We have seen in the past that this can cause an instability in the system and it takes a few days to solve the initial problems. But, who knows, maybe we will be lucky this time (always trying to remain the eternal optimist!).

So, give us a few days so that we can come to a decision on this. It surely does appear that the forum software has some sort of a bug in it from what we can tell, thus ugrading is probably a good stratedgy.

If anyone has any comments, please feel free to share them!

Craig

Comment

Working...
                                X