I guess I'm stupid but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cromag
    Microsoft's concept that "If we do it this way it IS the standard" is one of their many less-than-endearing qualities.
    True enough. In the short run it worked for them in the big browser war, but they've been paying for it ever since and they know it. They seem to acknowledge specific problems with varying degrees of forthrightness and are nibbling away at the compatibility issues. But they started so far off target that the legacy-user issue is a tough nut to crack.

I keep threatening to re-animate my Amiga one more time.
    Where, as it happens, one of the biggest issues (after "Who's gonna make new hardware?") is "What do you do for a browser? They're all so woefully behind the times." Lots of underfunded, understaffed projects in the works on that one.

HB

Comment

Well after doing a little research last night, I discovered the latest free version of Opera (8.5) is now totally ad free. So I just installed it on this pc...at the office...and am playing with. In fact I'm using it now. So I decided to try the preset experiment using Opera and my posted "Test Preset". Again, successful installation. From the reviews I've read, IE is by far the most vulnerable to attacks...Firefox much less so...and Opera the safest. But anyway, a second non-IE browser that downloads presets without corrupting the file.
      Danny Gilbert

Comment

and just to add more data, I tried with IE and it worked for Craig's audiophile preset, but not Danny's test preset. Opera worked with both (as did Firefox).

Dan
        Dan McDonald

Comment

Notes on Dan's previous: I created my Test Preset using DC6 v. 6.04 and uploaded to the forum using IE.
          Danny Gilbert

Comment

Originally posted by Dan McDonald
            ...I tried with IE and it worked for Craig's audiophile preset, but not Danny's test preset. Opera worked with both (as did Firefox).
            Originally posted by quartet87
            ...I created my Test Preset using DC6 v. 6.04 and uploaded to the forum using IE.
            Hmm. Just to complete the permutations, I wonder what would happen if q87 uploaded from a different browser.

HB

Comment

Uploaded "Test Preset2" using Opera 8.5. Downloaded with Opera and installed successfully...unsuccessful installation downloading with IE.
              Danny Gilbert

Comment

I installed Test2 successfully with both Opera and IE 6.0.2900

Dan
                Dan McDonald

Comment

Upgraded the Forum Software Last Night

Rick upgraded the Forum Software last night. Our preliminary tests indicate that the problem with presets and Internet Explorer appear to have been fixed as a result. Anyone who has been having problems may want to try downloading presets now and see if everything is ok. Let us know if they still are not working.
                  "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

It's also much, much faster in ordinary use -- logging in, reading the forums (fora?), etc. This may also be a side-effect with Explorer, I don't know if it was slow for the Firefox crowd. The old board was S-L-O-W, though!

Thanks for the effort, guys.

Comment

Everything is working fine for me also. IE 6.0.2800.
                      Looks like your efforts payed off.

Thanks.

Comment

That is good news, indeed!

Thanks.
                        "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Thanks Craig & Rick

for the preset fix in Explorer. Everything's working just fine.
                          "You earthlings are all fools, fools, fools, do you hear me ..." Plan 9 From Outer Space

Comment

Working...
                          X