Requests for Version DC8 Product Inputs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi James,

Yes, there is a scrubbing tool in the Forensics version 7.5 which does that job. Problem is that we can not take each feature from the forensics version and put it in the commercial version. Download the demo and check it out and see it in action.

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

LOL! Well, I guess I better stop asking for features that are found in the other version! Sorry about that......I did not know they were there.

Comment

You can also get a sense of it by using the CNF in the keep residue mode, where you move all the frequencies down to -120 except what you want to hear. It's not very exact, but can give you a pretty good idea of what's going on.

Also previewing the bandpass filter can let you listen to certain frequencies.

Dan
        Dan McDonald

Comment

Yes, I guess there are work arounds....I will give those a try.

Another thing that I have wished for is as follows. Often, when I have run a filter I find that it has created a unwanted distortion, or some other problem on a section of the file. To remove that effect on the destination file, I can highlight that section on the source file, open any filter, select 'bypass' and then run the filter, thus removing the previous filters effect on the destination file. Depending on the filter I choose and the settings of that filter, this process can take a variable amount of time. I most often see this if I use the Impulse Filter with various settings. I wonder if there could be a button added to the menu that, once a section on the source file is highlighted, you could just hit and it does the same thing. In effect, bounces down that section of the file to the destination file. It would remove a few steps and would perhaps even be a bit faster as it would not be trying to calculate various filter settings. Perhaps there is some other one step way that does this that I am missing. That would not surprise me.........

Comment

Dare I another suggestion...?

I find that I only use about 1/4 of the 'buttons' at the top of my workspace. I wonder if there could be a way we could define what buttons appear and how large they are. I would rather choose my own 7-10 buttons, ones that I use on a regular basis, and have the option to make them bigger for easier viewing and clicking. Sort of like you can do with Microsoft Word, etc.....Just a thought....

Comment

Two suggestions

1. 3D spectrum analyser
              Few times I had a file which needed two or more different corrections depand on the file's part.
              So 3D analyser with the time based third axe whould be a way to go.

2. Preview mixer
              I have called it in this way because I have no clue how it can be called so I describe what I mean.
              After few hours of restoration sometimes we don't know which wav file sounds better-before or after just set correction.
              I've found a way to compare such files which works excellent-at least for me.
              Have you ever seen the simplest DJ mixer?
              It opens two separate audio files and there is (usually in the middle or below) one "potentiometer" which flexible allows to direct to the speakers one or part of both opened audio files-just like a two inputs mixer
              The important thing-only one regulator.
              Usualy I open files: one before correction and the second one-after.
              Using a mentioned "potentiometer" I can see If the first one is better or the second one or find the correction has been too strong or whatever.
              As a mixer I use an old freeware version which is called "MixVibes 5.20" (newer versions are shareware and they are too complicated for my goals).
              Works like a charm and helps me find the best possible level of correction.
              I only hope you understand my english to understand what I'm going to describe
              So such function can help users to work better with DC. Just try it and you find it usefull.

EDITED
              I have found such potentiometer is called "crossfader"
              Last edited by ric29; 06-23-2009, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Hi,

I think that the 3D spectrum analyzer is sometimes referred to as a "Waterfall Display". I have heard that a lot of folks who have used Waterfalls also like to use Spectrograms which we already have.

We will look into what it takes to do those things that you mention. Not sure how complex that they are to do.

Craig

Comment

Yes, I have used this name as it is called in such way in the small audio editor xxxxxxx but I've met with the name "Waterfall Display" too
                  Last edited by Craig Maier; 06-24-2009, 01:03 PM.

Comment

My suggestion for improvements

HI to all of you DCart users!

I have used this program for years remastering old 78's from the 30's to the 50's to commercial CD's. I find this program really handy and like it very much.

BUT; What I miss is as follows:
                    1. Slightly better impulse noise filter, since it still leaves some irritating clicks and pops, especially when the music passages are low. By the way I use the EZ INF.
                    2. Better reverb features; I think those featured often have the bad "tin-can" sound rather than the "warm and full" sound that I prefer. So far I have therefore used an analogue reverb box that really sounds well.
                    3. Some good pre-sets for enhancing or "smoothing" up the rather dull sound we got after finishing the basic restoration process (INF & CNF) of a 78 rpm rec. I thinks some pre-sets for EQ'ing and enhancement, also "stereo spread" would be nice.

According to "enhancement" of old 78 rpm-recordings I am a great fan of the late Robert Parker's work on his CD-series "Jazz Classics in Digital Stereo", where he have "tailored" those old classic recording to really sound good. Just take a look here:
                    http://www.lagniappe.la/whoshotparker.asp

Good luck and keep up your good work!

Best regards
                    Jan Myren
                    NORWAY

Comment

Hi Jan,

We are always improving the various algorithms and the same applies to the DC8 version of the software. So, stay tuned.

As for Robert Parker, Rick and I had the pleasure to spend an evening with him here in my audio laboratory around 15 years ago. He was here in the US being interviewed for an article in Time magazine at that time. One key element of Roberts work was to always seek out 78s that were in "never played" or Exceptional condition. He pointed out that using never played records gave him a real leg up in the restoration process. But, finding never played records was quite a challenge for him, but worth the effort.

Craig
                      Last edited by Craig Maier; 07-14-2009, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Just nice; really hope for a real "big bang" according to the reverb, so that I can put away my old analogue reverb box!

Robert Parker; lucky guys, I would really have appreciated to have any contact with him. Sad he pased away, don't know what he died of. I really do like his work, although I know that "purists" really hate it!
                        Anyway; take a look at the web link I sent you, see the video there and THAT BIG record collection he had. Wonder where they are now.
                        Also mint records is not so easy to find.

Regards
                        jan

Comment

I liked his work too. He spent a great deal of time searching down the best copy of any given 78 release.

He also had the stated philosophy to use whatever gadgets are available to enhance the sound of his transfers. For example, he did not shy away from the use of reverb and stereo simulators and exciters. As you pointed out, the purists did not like that at all. But, Parker had the philosophy that we need to draw in the younger listeners and the youngers folks are used to hearing high fidelity sound. His arguement was that the only way to do that is to release old records that sound as close to recenty mastered recordings so that they are able to relate to the sound quality and focus in on the musical performance itself. I would say that he had a valid perspective.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                          X