No announcement yet.

Ideas for Version Seven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would great if had support to load the losslessy compressed formats like shorten, flac, ape, wavpack, apple lossless, etc.

But more importantly:

I use the Spectral Filter for a lot of things: high and low pass filters, and notch slot filter/enhancers, I could probably use other filters, but I like to fantasize that I am being more particular by selecting and moving the control points on the graph.

By way of explanation, I find the graphical interface to the Spectral Filter clumsy. for example, I find that when I am and I am zoomed in a one level, and am intending to add a control point, my mouse had slips a bit when I find myself zoomed-in again, with no way to undo that zoom except undo all zoom and zero in the target again.

1a) I think that something like, "undo last zoom" to go back to the zoom level
    and where you were would be fantastic.

1b) Perhaps keyboard cursor control for the SF

1c) perhaps a control/alt/shift + click combination to do any zooming, so it is either in control point/curve mode or zoom mode?

1d) Perhaps a right-click on a control point, with a context menu that lets you type in a precise frequency

After reading all of that above, perhaps an alternate interface(s) added to the Spectal Filter.
    This is just tossing out an idea for the interface, I have not thought too heavily but perhaps a text mode interface would possible, where you could type in the frequencies of the control points. I guess it should be like the polynomiaI filter in that the the graphical side at the same time so you could switch at will.

1e) Staying in the alternate interface to the notch/spectral filters, but much more lazy, I would love to be able to click on a running Spectral Analyzer graph, and have it make the frequency settings. Yes, I know that I could just write the numbers down, but it does sound convenient.

You would still have to go to the SF to make gain settings and slope characteristics for each point though.

2) This is more in the vein of "simply nice to have", but on the spectrum analyzer, when you are using very fine frequency resolution it would be nice if you could scroll horizontally, like you can with horizonally with the "offset" control so you can see the higher frequencies if you are working with them.
    Last edited by Mark_S; 05-18-2005, 11:23 AM.

Comment

AUTO GLITCH MARK using x-y vector DC 7

It would be great if DC 7 COULD HIGHLIGHT A "CLICK" or "Noise burst" WITH 2 CONNECTED MARKERS.

FOR EXAMPLE CLICK 1 START POINT 1A END POINT 1B.

I often use the x-y vector display in a play mode, to ?visually by eye? see the clicks, which seem to be out of phase with one another, and move 90 degrees out of the regular tracing, which is on a 45.

When I see 90 degrees out of phase, this is the departure from regular tracing, I drop a manual ?M? keyboard marker on the fly. Since I know what my reaction time is, the markers are close, but of course always behind, both the start point and end point of the glitch.

I then manually cut or interpolate, or cut the center, and then interp the outside boundaries of the problems depending on severity.
      Also using the ?N? function, for next marker, dragging and zooming through wave files till the wee hours of the morning.

This takes time, but by zeroing in ON "just the problem", no changes are made to the entire file like in the automated filtering. Painstakingly, I clean everyone I hear and see. OUCH.

???? COULD DC 7 highlight just the click?s beginning point and end point, by utilizing the X-Y VECTOR, OR SIMILAR GLITCH MARKER MECHANISM?

If DC could auto ?zoom in? and place the first marker, with a variable threshold of departure from regular tracing of x-y vector, it could save hundreds of hours, of just marking, problems.

ONCE "a noise event" is marked DC 6 is a cinch to correct them, but this would save thousands of ?zoom in?s and outs?, just to find the trouble. Mark the problems, let me fix it, or give the user automated options, just on the glitch.

The feature or button could be called AUTO GLITCH MARK or something.

MANY features of DC 6 could be used between connected markers, or ?event markers? including eq, gain, etc.

DC 6 probably does this somehow already, I just would like some control of the events, and not compromise the entire wave file, like current ?auto feature filters?.

Thanks for ?working and improving? an already fantastic wave editor. Peppersax

I asked Curtis about this 8 months ago, and he loved the idea. WISH LIST DC 7 continues. Peppersax
      Last edited by PepperSax; 05-19-2005, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Someone's probably posted this suggestion already, but I would appreciate reducing drilldowns to common functions like Play from Here, File Close, make Destination Source, etc. Adding either toolbar customization or enabling users to create control keys would help. Also, as noted elsewhere, more consistency and consistent functionality (e.g., Preview options) across all filter windows would be great.

Comment

Marker export

Craig - you mentioned this back in February in response to a question of mine, but would like an option to export marker info into a m3u or cue sheet.

Many thanks.
          Craig
          soundHATpaxtons.org (take off the HAT)

Comment

We will look into it. Thanks for the input.
            "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

De-clicking in reverse

One new feature I would like to see is the ability to de-click in reverse. No, I don't mean adding clicks, just making it easier to process the file in reverse.
              I am working on records and it seems that most of my time is spent trying to get rid of impulse noise. I find that the impulse filters will often miss some clicks and pops and scritches, but if I reverse the file and run it through again, many of the rest are removed. It also seems better to use one impulse filter setting, run it in both directions, then adjust the parameters and run in both directions and so on. This is a lot of reversing the file which takes time with 24 bit 96 kHz files.
              It would be a big improvement/convenience if you could add a setting to the impulse filters so that it could process the sound as if the file had been reversed. Or perhaps look in both directions at once to catch the low-level junk just before a click rather than removing the click and low level stuff after it but leaving the pre-click junk. Some of that junk is still audible but difficult to filter out with the spiky part of the click no longer around to help identify it.
              One can hope this would require only a trivial change to the program, :-)recalling the old programming dictum that there are no trivial changes.

Comment

If the batch file editor had the reverse file feature added to its list, would that do the trick?
                Last edited by Craig Maier; 07-18-2005, 05:22 PM.

Comment

File Reverse

Craig-
                  Not quite what I had in mind although I can see where it would come in handy for processing a lot of short songs as individual files. I do mostly classical and opera LPs where a side is the basic unit or sometimes one side of a 90 minute cassette.
                  What I am thinking of is more like having the file reverse in the Multi-filter. Then I would use a multifilter like Impulse Filter/File Reverse/Impulse Filter/File Reverse as a basic step. But I don't really care if the file was really reversed if DC7 gave me the same result. If it was faster I would like it even better. The file reverse on a large file sounds like a disk torture test. So I had the idea to ask for an Impulse Filter setting that does a 'virtual' reverse/filter/reverse in one step or even the full filter/reverse/filter/reverse without giving the disk so much excercize.
                  I hope this explains what my fantasy was.

Comment

So it's like reversing the file and de-clicking, but putting that step into a multi-filter so that's it's done automatically, then put back to normal direction. That sounds good, but maybe as an option on the impulse filter rather than in the multi-filter, because if you put it in the multi-filter, I think you're losing the benefit of the multi-filter because, by definition, it would have to break this up into different steps, right?

The advantage of the multi-filter, I think, is that you are able to accomplish all of the filtering without adding error at each step, but if you have to interrupt that process to do a reverse filter, it seems like you'll lose that advantage, right?

If you simply have that filter start at the end and go backwards (which seems the easy way to implement something like that), I think you've still got the same problem of interrupting the multi-filter.

Dan
                    Dan McDonald

Comment

• I think that I understand what you mean. I have been bouncing this off of Rick as well to get his inputs. We still have not resolved how to implement this - - -

Comment

• Reversed Impulse Filter

Yes, Dan's got what I was trying to say.
                        Reading and processing the file from the end to the beginning is one way to do it, but like he says, maybe not the most desirable. If the programmers can't work some easy magic with queues and buffers (I am late for my Harry Potter fix), I think reading the file in and processing it tail first would let people try it out and see if the scheme is worth putting more effort into for DC8 or 9.

Comment

• blind de-convolution

Back in the olden days, I had asked about restoring lost frequencies, and Craig mentioned something called "blind de-convolution" as the name of the technique for achieving some of this.

Any chance that we might get a "how to" section in the next manual to explain how to go about doing this - maybe explaining some of the techniques and how best to do them with Live7?

Plus any other tools that might be useful for doing something like this?

Dan
                          Dan McDonald

Comment

• Yes, we can do that. We should also consider providing a specific tool to make that process easy to accomplish.

Comment

• Speed change

Can the speed change filter be added to the multi filter.
                              I transfeer tapes to my HD at 2 to 4 times original speed.
                              It would be convinent to change back using the multi filter.

Comment

• There are some problems putting that filter in the Multifilter. Since the speed change filter can speed up as well as slow down, when one speeds up and does that in real time Live Preview (as the multifilter can do), this would require the filter to be a time machine capable of predicting the future and thus impossible.

However, this filter is in the Batch file editor which may be able to accomodate your needs.

Comment

Working...
                                X