No announcement yet.

Ideas for Version Seven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When using VOX mode, I wonder if we could write a routine to automatically go back 200 mSeconds and get rid of the needle drop pulse.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Hey Drew, I used to do the very same thing. I had to finally force myself to remember that my computer & DiamondCut was not a tape deck! With tapes, one had to keep track of nearly every second being as the available time was finite. Secondly, one never wanted to chance cutting off the beginning of a selection by trying to erase a needle drop, so it was always customary to set the needle down before hitting the decks pause while in record mode. After using tape decks for more than 30 years, that old procedure becomes quite a mindset! With a computer the available time is limited only by the size of your hard drive(s) and editing out needle drops (or anything else for that matter) in the digital realm is a breeze in comparison. I guess it's true that old habits die hard!

Comment

I'm still using DC-ART 3.12, so please forgive me if I am to suggest something that is already in a newer version of DC-ART.

One thing I brought up just the other day (and after searching the forum, I found that it has been mentioned before as well) was the ability to decode quadraphonic records (meaning, having the software separate the front and rear channel info.)

I know that one of the systems probably can't be decoded (the system that shifts the rear audio to frequencies in the 25 kHz - 40 kHz range), but there are a couple that could be done through software (such as SQ and QS). I know that Dolby Pro Logic units can apparently decode some of the rear channel info, but it's not quite right.

I have a lot of Quad records I'd like to clean up and eventually burn as audio-DVDs with all 4 channels encoded on the disk, and being able to separate the audio with the software would make the process sound a lot better.

Also, many of these muti-channel mixes of some great albums will probably never see the light of day again.

An old thread with all the Quad formulas in it:
        http://www.diamondcut.com/vforum/showthread.php?t=206

(Just for fun, there are even a few CDs that have made it on to the market that are quad. At the time of the original release, only one master was made, and that version happened to be Quad encoded. They just used the same version for the Stereo and Quad releases. When it came time to release a CD, they just used the same master. A few releases in Elton John's catalog are this way I know.)

Other suggestions (again, I apologize if these have been added to recent version of DC-ART)

When using echo or reverb, it would be nice to have a box you could check that would let the echo continue after a selected portion of a file. Sometimes, I want to add reverb to just one section of something, and it just doesn't sound quite right when the echo ends sharply at the end of the selection.

When cutting, it would be nice if the software would automatically interpolate the sharp edge that is created at the point of the cut.

I wouldn't mind seeing a keyboard shortcut that would drop down markers. It would also be nice if this could be done while listening to a file. (When you hit the keyboard shortcut, it would put a marker down where ever the curser was.)

Thanks.

Comment

Hi - HearToTemptYou

You can get the result that you desire with the reverb or the echo effect by applying that filter "selectively" on the portion of the audio desired. Please refer to the users manual and you will see how to perform selective filtering. That feature is available on the version that you presently own (except you do not have the echo effect).

Comment

automatic file converter

Here's one:

I do a lot of batch processing with the multi-filter - mainly live material, so there's quite a bit of differences in levels, but all the files have essentially the same problems because they're all recorded at the same time. Fairly often, I get things set up and then run the batch but find that several of the files have been clipped, so I delete the batch and re-run with the file converter down a few dB. Sometimes that almost does it, and I have to re-run again, or it takes them down too much, so I re-run with it back up a dB or two.

I don't know the math involved, but would it be possible to have a file converter setting for multi-filters whereby it calculated the peak for each file in the batch after the rest of the filters in the multi-filter had done their work, then automatically lowered the batch so that there'd be no clipping? I assume it could do that by running the math just for the peaks within each file.

Then again, maybe I want everything done for me. I was going to suggest a "fix it" button, where you could just click and it'd automatically figure out what needed to be done and just 'fix it,' but I'll save that for Version 8.
            Dan McDonald

Comment

I love the "Just Fix It" button. We will work on that one. I would love to have it too.

Comment

for v. 7?

Would adding a CD burner be opening a bucket of worms?

Comment

Maybe but we are not sure right now. We will look into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Maier
                    Hi - HearToTemptYou

You can get the result that you desire with the reverb or the echo effect by applying that filter "selectively" on the portion of the audio desired. Please refer to the users manual and you will see how to perform selective filtering. That feature is available on the version that you presently own (except you do not have the echo effect).
                    What I was referring to was an option to allow the echo/reverb to "trail off" after where I had selected.

That way, it would give a more natural sound when I want to add echo/reverb to only a certain part of a file.

In order to do this with my version of DC-ART (3.12) I have to extract the part of the file I want to add the echo to, add a few seconds of silence at the end of the clip, then cut and paste the original portion of the file I had extracted (with the echo) back on the file I had pulled it from, and then I have to cut and mix-paste the trailing off echo with the original source (if that makes any sense.)

Thanks for giving us the chance to suggest things like this. This is what makes DC-ART the best of the best! Even my old version of the software puts others to shame.

Comment

I see. That makes sense. Sorry, I misunderstood that aspect of things. We will look into that.

Comment

VOB Ripper

Much like we can pull the audio off of an avi, could we pull the audio off a vob file?....I'd like to make cd's from some concert dvd's I have.....Spunky

Comment

Craig;

1)There is a minor bug in 6.14 that could be fixed: After loading [Classic mode] File A into the Source window and File B into the Destination window, and after making several edits on File A, DC6 reminds you that 'File B has been edited, do you want to save it?' even though File B has not really been edited.

One or two edits on File A does not do it, but a good 20 minutes editing session on File A seems to confuse DC6 as to the status of File B for some reason.

2) Would definitely like a warning on a 'Cut' or 'CTRL X' in classic mode if the file is over 10 minutes [or so] in length to prevent an accidental 'CRTL X' from happening [in trying for a 'CTRL C' - a copy].

3) Would really like a special key for an instant copy of a selected area from Left channel to Right channel [and the reverse, R to L]. This would be very useful for working with mono records that are recorded in stereo, and would save many key strokes.

4) A CD writer would be a toss-up in desireability, in that there are many already available, and this would be redundant as to what is already out there. However there is one brand, free on the net, designed by a serious SW engineer for serious audio folk, and is definitely the best. Have used it for years and it works perfectly. Perhaps it could be licensed. Ask.

5) However, I would kill for a good MP3 CD writer that works well and is not designed for kids, as most of them are.

Comment

SpunkyS,

There might be some nasty copyright issues with implementing the .vob ripper.

Comment

Phillip,

We will fix the bug and look into those other things.

Thanks.

Comment

Recording

I'd like to see a sliding volume control directly on the recorder rather than adjusting the volume seperately through the control panel.
                                "You earthlings are all fools, fools, fools, do you hear me ..." Plan 9 From Outer Space

Comment

Working...
                                X