No announcement yet.

Ideas for Version Seven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is feasible to do, but I do not know if it would work very well. I view clicks as being something like snowflakes - - - no two are identical. Thus, one would have to establish variance paramaters on the sampled impulse like rise and fall times, normalized amplitude, dwell time, order, number of events, etc. But, it is worth trying.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

• Out of interest Craig & Rick, would it be possible to invent something that can smear/remove record "swoosh" noises? They seem to be a real hard thing to remove with many of the filter combinations, and tend to destroy a good recording when they pass through the CNF.
      At work I may look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm actually quite busy

Comment

• We understand the mechanism that produces the "swooshies" on olde 78's and are working on mechanisms to reduce the effect. One thing that does help already is the smoothing function coupled with a longer attack time, but these are not the "silver bullet" needed for completely solving the problem.

Comment

• Excellent!
          I know such a function is a bit specific, but DC6 is the best ground for restoring 78s...I bet one day with all the improvements and specific filters for the various situatuations you'll have to seperate DC in "LP" "78s" and "Forensics" versions.
          At work I may look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm actually quite busy

Comment

• In "live preview/record" mode during surveillance work, it would be useful if the Log input file was saved in a format that could be read later regardless if the power was interrupted during the surveillance recording. This could be done by auto saving audio at regular intervals (as chosen by the user - like auto save on a word document) or with each vox time stamp. At the moment, if something goes wrong like a program crash, windows error...flat battery or the like, the file is saved but unable to be opened due to an "error" or unrecognizable format.
            Last edited by Doug; 11-28-2005, 10:26 PM.

Comment

• ok - one more that I would find helpful sometimes -

on the spectrum analyzer you can click on a spot and it tells the frequency. and dB. That would be helpful to have on the Spectrogram also.

Dan
              Dan McDonald

Comment

• Are there any plans for DC7 to support either the dual-core technology hitting the streets right now or for it to take advantage of Hyper-Threading?

Comment

• We are presently in the process of evaluating those items for DC7.

Comment

• Slider Bar Play Control

Would it be feasible to ?play? a file via the sliding bar? What I envision is as follows: You open a given sound file and then select a button that will change the view from the normal one to one where there is a vertical dividing line exactly in the middle of the viewing screen. When you zoom in on the file, the vertical line stays in place in the same way the rest of the ?boundaries? of the screen do. Then, one can click the slider and move it right or left. As the file moves, the file that crosses under the vertical line is played?.the faster you slide it, the faster it plays. My thought on the purpose of this is to assist with the finding of those troublesome clicks/pops. Sometimes they are so small that you can?t see them and if you zoom in and watch the file play, you reach a point were it flies by so quick you can hear it but still can not pinpoint where it is. With the slider play control, you can control the speed and when you hear the artifact, it would be under the vertical bar, allowing you to really pinpoint its location. Perhaps then there can be a hot button that you can click that will allow a marker to be added automatically where the vertical bar is, allowing ever greater marker placement control.

I see this may have been covered...i.e. "Scrubbing". Sorry to add it but I think it would indeed be a nice addition.
                    Last edited by James; 12-08-2005, 02:09 AM. Reason: Read a bit more of the list....

Comment

• Dc 7

There are 2 things I would love to see in DC7 and that is a good sub harmonic synthesizer, so that one can replace the low frequencies removed from so many recordings. Currently I am using a Phat Pro to add some low frequency in on selected recordings. I would like better control of the target frequencies and the level and quality of the low frequencies added.

From time to time record damage is such that you can't restore some notes and in the past I have had to lift a copy of a damaged note from another part of the record. It is very had to find the replacement note by ear and it would nice to take a "ghost" image of the damaged area so that one could lay it over a chosen replacement note to see how well it matches. Currently it is long and hard work but it can be done and done successfully. It would be nice if there was some tools to make it a little easier.

Comment

• V7

Originally posted by Craig Maier
                        Since we are working on Version Seven, now would be a good time to make suggestions for new filters or features or whatever you would like to see.

Thanks -
                        I need to be able to deal with breath pops, P pops, ta, ka, hard consonants, etc., and the likes of voice recordings. Also, how about making it a plugin for my other audio recording, mixing, editing, mastering, cloning software. Just a suggestion for V7.

Comment

• for v.7.0?

first a question:

Just finished recording an unusually disrupting warped 78 of about 1915 release date. Finally resorted to playing and recording it at 33 1/3rd rpm.

Had to use a two step process to get the file up to speed. +100% and then +20% to get to 80 rpm.

Should I expect any bad effects from that procedure?

If not;
                          then - a suggestion for next version of DC:
                          A Preset to go from 33 1/3rd to 78 in one step.

George Peek

Comment

• There are no negative effects to that procedure. We will be increaseing the range of the speed change filter per your suggestion in the next release.

Comment

• Not really a software suggestion, but what about a small area of the website where people could post short snips of sound and ask for help from others? I bet that would be useful. Like a little ftp area or something where a file could stay up for a week or so, then get deleted. A lot of times people are trying to describe sounds that are hard to describe with words, or ask for help with certain types of sounds, etc.

I guess ftp would be the only way to do it easily, but there might be a way of doing it through email - as you can guess, I'm not a website-figure-outer by trade, so I don't know how hard this might be to do.

It could be password-restricted so that only registered members could post, so that it wouldn't get prank material.

Dan
                              Dan McDonald

Comment

• Interesting idea. We will look into it. The files would have to have a limited longevity as you point out, else disc drive space would eventually become a problem. Lets see if this is possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X